ARCHIVES: Public Houses
The Blacksmith's Arms
The first record of the Blacksmiths Arms is in 1849, run by Thomas Bates who was a blacksmith and machinist.
He had died by 1851 but his widow, Elizabeth, was still living there with her nephew. Her lodgers were Joseph Storer and family and it was Joseph who took on the licence a few years later. Joseph was a framework knitter and stayed as publican through until about 1884, when he was described as a bag hosier.
He was succeeded by William Thomas Brown, a painter, born in Newport, Shropshire, for the next 10 years or so.
After a short spell in the hands of William Richardson, the pub passed to Henry Poyner. Born in Diseworth, Henry was a bricklayer.
During the First World War, George W Smith was landlord, followed in the 20s by Edward Bailey and Thomas Mason. Joseph Wardle was here in 1932 but shortly after this the Blacksmiths Arms closed and the licence was transferred to the Wentworth Arms at Elmsthorpe.
After the Second World War the building was demolished to improve the visibility on the bend in the road where Main Street changes to Newbold Road. This corner is still a traffic nightmare in the 21st century.