ARCHIVES: WWI

Botcheston at the Outbreak of the Great War

Botcheston was a small hamlet, with the Greyhound Pub; several farms and its own school, built in 1903.

 

Previously part of the Earl of Stamford & Warrington’s Manor of Groby, then under the sway of the Duchy of Lancaster, by 1914 it was part of Ratby parish.

 

The Leicester Industrial School for Boys off Markfield Lane (opened in 1881) provided employment for local people.  

 

Bufton Lodge, between Botcheston and Newtown Unthank, was a grand house, occupied by Albert Pickard and his family.

Industrial School for for boys.jpg

 Leicester Industrial School for Boys 

Bufton Lodge 3_edited.jpg

 Bufton Lodge 

Botcheston village hall in the snow Jan.2021.jpg

 Botcheston Village Hall - formerly the school